Further details are available below on the subjects available in the Mathematics Faculty for Knutsford School.
Our aim is to make mathematics as accessible and enjoyable as possible for all our students. Investigative and exploratory work is encouraged together with a strong emphasis on the essential algebraic, numeric and geometric skills. As well as the use of data. Students are taught in tiered groups, based on ability which allows for a specially enhanced learning environment, including teacher led discussions and tasks, small group investigations, use of ICT, practical projects and text book practice.
Did you know…
Some numbers are equal to the sum of all of their factors (but not including the number itself). 6 is a number that equals the sum of its factors: 1 + 2 + 3 equal 6. It is called a perfect number. Can you find any others?
Computing in Year 7 covers a wide range of topic areas based around Computer Science, ICT and Digital literacy. We start the year by looking at ICT skills in using various computer software and building their confidence with them. In Computer Science we look at Programming and how instructions are written as code. You will program in both a graphical and a textual programming language.
Did you know…
Only 8% of the worlds currency is physical money, the rest only exists on computers.
Integers and Decimals (Number)
Fractions, Decimals and Percentages (Number)
Expressions and Formulae (Algebra)
Angles and Shapes (Geometry)
Equations and Graphs (Algebra)
Sequences and Roots (Algebra)
Collecting and Representing Data (Statistics
Ratio and Proportion (Number)
Construction and 3D Shapes (Geometry)
Analysing and Interpreting Data (Statistics)
Calculations Plus (Number)
Functional Maths (Functional)
Term 1 – Photoshop Editing
- Students will use Photoshop to create an image for a defined purpose and audience.
- They will make a second image that takes into account differences in audience needs
- They will use a wide range of facilities offered by Photoshop in their creation of images
Term 2 – Safety and Security
- We will look at security issues when using computer systems such as passwords and keeping private on websites
- We will look at staying safe online when using a range of social networks.
- We will look at some of the legal issues around the internet and the impact of file sharing etc.
Term 3 – Programming
- Students will look at using either Small basic or Python to program a range of tasks.
- They will use a range of operators in their code to ensure that it is able to solve a more complex problem.
- Students will begin to use functions
- Students will recognise the concepts of programming algorithms such as stacks and queues and sorting/searching algorithms. Students will present this information.
– Sequences and Graphs
– Proportional Reasoning, Fractions, Decimals and Percentages (Number)
– Geometrical Reasoning and Construction (Geometry)
– Equations (Algebra)
– Surveys (Statistics)
|The following modules are covered in Year 9
Internet safety and legal framework